For the rice :
- Basmati rice - 1 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp salt
- Rice to Water Ratio - 1:1.5
- Soak Basmati rice for 20 mins
- Eggs - 2 big or 3 small
- Carrot - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Beans - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Capsicum - 1/4 cup chopped finely
- Cabbage - 1/4 cup finely shredded
- Spring onions (white part) - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Spring onions (green part) - 2-3 tbsp finely chopped
- Celery - 1/2 tbsp (optional)
- Garlic - 2 big cloves finely chopped
- Soya sauce - 1 tsp
- Chilli Sauce - 1 tsp
- Green Chillies - 2-3 (optional) Incase you want to avoid green chillies, all 1.5 tsp pepper pwdr.
- Vinegar - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
Wash rice , add salt and cook with sufficient water (rice :water ratio is 1:5) in an electric cooker or pressure cooker .Once the rice is cooked, gently fluff the rice with a fork and spread it on a plate and apply 1 tsp of oil and keep aside until the rest of the ingredients are ready.
Chop all the vegetables finely and set aside. Keep in mind that the veggies have to be sauteed on medium high flame to retain the crunch and cook them partially.
Take a pan or wok and add oil to it. Once the oil is hot, add garlic and green chilles and fry till the garlic turns light brown. Adding green chillies is optional. You can just substitute them with black pepper powder and chilli sauce.
Then spring onion whites and carrot and saute on medium high for 1-2 mins.
Now add rest of the veggies - beans, capsicum and cabbage and saute for 1-2 mins.
Then add soya sauce, vinegar, chilli sauce, pepper pwder and salt and saute on medium flame for 2 mins. Keep in mind that we already added some salt while cooking rice and add the required salt .
Now, add the rice which was resting in the plate to the veggies and mix gently. Take care while handling the rice to ensure that the rice grains dont break.
Take another pan and add a tbsp of butter. When the butter melt, add eggs and scramble and fry them. Add very little salt for the egg seasoning. Now add these scrambled eggs to the rice and veggie mixture.
Garnish with spring onions. and serve with your favorite manchurian . We enjoyed it for a lazy weekend with Gobi Manchurian as side dish :)